Thursday 11 April 2013

5 minutes with...Dax Lion




For the last couple of weeks, the air at Unsocial Graces HQ has been blessed with the rootical sounds of Dax Lion. After watching his videos on YouTube, buying all his music on Itunes and singing his songs at the top of our voices – we still needed more. So we decided to contact him directly to see if he could spend 5 minutes with us so we can get to know the man creating music we just can’t get enough of.

Meet Dax Lion…
While most upcoming artists tend to lack a strong identity and position on their music and their message, Dax Lion, a Roots Reggae artist, is cut from a different cloth. Emerging with the heart of a lion, he is unabashedly clear on his mission to convey world-reaching messages while embracing Rastafari in a solid, bass-driven Reggae groove.

Hailing from the city of Kingston with a Bachelor of Arts in Entertainment and Cultural Enterprise Management, Dax Lion was infused with the rich musical roots of Jamaica from a young age. Writing since the age of 13, the distinct sound of Reggae fuelled a musical passion within the young artist that lay dormant until he recorded his first song in 2009. "I realized that music was my mission when I recorded a song entitled "Gas Pon It", says the rebel with a cause. After receiving positive feedback from his peers and validation from Kimani Robinson, former owner of Reggae Entertainment Television (RETV), he realized a connection had been found. "I found music, and music found me," he declares. This divine confirmation ushered him into the life of a full-time artist/musician. "I just started recording more, performing more, meeting musicians, and doing a lot of acoustic shows. I had no doubt that this is what I am to do", he explains.

Now an inseparable pair, Dax began recording both in his home with a laptop and microphone and at Tuff Gong Recording Studios in Jamaica. Zealously recording, he crafted his songwriting skills, taking from his musical influences, like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Stephen Marley, Damian Marley, Michael Jackson, and Stevie Wonder, and using them to enhance his own style. Shaping as an artist, he began to collaborate with other artists such as, Biggz General and Elise Dash.

His first collaboration song was "Gwan Natty" featuring Biggz General. Long time friends, the collaboration between these two rising stars was inevitable. "Me and Biggz used to do music all the time from school days, and we were always writing together." Initially writing one verse and chorus of the song on his own, Dax solicited input from Biggz. "He liked it and recorded on it. Shortly after, we redid the track with a live band adding our own flavor, and "Gwan Natty" was released", he recalls. Marked with a message of upliftment to the youth, this debut song effortlessly drew fans to the Lion.

Starting out performing at underground Reggae venues and schools in Jamaica, his name began to gain recognition. In 2010, he co-produced his first big show, Rasta Vibes at the Bob Marley Museum, with Gatlin Entertainment. The show's intent was to expose the underground Reggae movement in Jamaica at the time. This served as a catalyst to Dax's non-stop work ethic which eventually put him in touch with producer, T'jean Bennett, who worked on "Reggae Jam Jam". Later collaborations with producers include Makonnen Blake Hannah on "The Prayer" and "Breaker Breaker" and Eric Toussaint and Nestor of Roots Life Productions on "Lyrics", "Boom Draw", and "Rise Natty". In addition to songwriting, performing, recording, and playing instruments, Dax also has his hand in production. Producing a few of his own tracks such as, "Gwan Natty", "The Prayer", and "Play Me Some Music", he seeks to expand his horizons.

Gaining momentum, Dax has appeared on several high profile shows, such as Conversations with Julian Marley and Richie Spice and was named as one of Jamaica's upcoming, positive artists by Julian Marley. Over the past few years, he has graced stages at The People's Festival held in Wilmington, Delaware and Groove Fest and Bob Marley Earthday Celebrations in Jamaica. He has also participated in a number of collaborative shows with bands like, Uprising Roots, One Drop Routz, Black Lion, Artikal, and Judah Tribe Band. His recent performance exposure has led to media interest with the Jamaica Observer reporting his artistic style as "clawing away at negativity". Ironically, this is just what the young lion has set out to do.

As he gained experience, his creative process enhanced, and a theme of interconnectivity emerged. "Sometimes, I get this great idea, and I start to write. And I get one line or two, and then it just stops. Then, a month later, I get the vibe to write again, and what I write connects to what I put down a month ago," he reflects. Dax began piecing together what seemed to be dead end lyrics at the time, and his story, expressed through music, was birthed. "That's why they say you should never throw away your lyrics", he reasons.

"Rise Natty" is a mixtape project that has evolved from his growth as an artist. "Well, the work has been a long time coming. It's going to be three years of work put together. You will hear the progressions and developments of me as an artist throughout the CD. It will take you through everything," he explains. With features such as, Biggz General, Iyah Gift, Eddie-B, and Elise Dash, "Rise Natty" is a highly anticipated work of art that is soon to be released. Currently, Dax is performing in the United States and Jamaica and is working on an upcoming album. With the advice of his mother to make clean and positive music tucked in his heart and his weapon of choice, music strapped to his belt, this lion's roar is sure to be heard around the world. 


5 minutes with…

1.      Where do you call home?
My home is Kingston, Jamaica. That is where I was born. My home is also Africa, that is where we are all from.
2.      What is your passion?
My passion is music. Everything I do revolves around music. If I am silent, I am thinking of a line to use in music, if I am walking I am observing to get an idea that I can work with in the creation process. My main passion is Music, the love I have for it is natural.
3.      Who or what are your inspirations?
I am inspired by the teachings of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie, Crowned Rastafari.  I am inspired by the teachings of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Dennis Brown, Jimmy Cliff, Michael Jackson, and all the Marley Brothers as well.
4.      Where do you love to hangout?
 I love to hangout wherever positive vibes is located. I love being in the studio, if I could I would live in one. Hopefully one day I will – I just love to create and be productive when it comes to music. I have a lot to say.
5.      What was the last song you listened to?
The last song I listened to was "Fantan Mojah - "Rasta Got Soul" - I then skipped that song and played Biggz General "Check The Rhime" Freestyle.
6.      What one thing have you learned about love?
 I have learnt that Love is waiting on us to realize how great it is and its waiting on us to really use it. Love is so powerful, when you Love and are Loved you soul is rejoicing. Everyone wants to be loved, but not everyone wants to love. Love wants everyone to Love :-) - I have learnt that. 
7.       Name one song that would be on the soundtrack to your life
Bob Marley - "Im Hurting Inside" - that track is very real to me.
7.      If you could have any super power, which one would you have and why?
 Well I already have a super power :-). The gift of Love is a SUPER Power. I would say I am already equipped.
8.      What's the best way to spend a Sunday?
Best way to spend a Sunday for me varies, some Sundays I feel like making music, Some Sundays I feel like relaxing and going to the Beach or something. It’s all about the mood. But Sundays are usually relaxing days spent with family and close ones.
9.      What's your most treasured possession?
 My most treasured possession would be my motivation to do things. I treasure that because there are a lot of people who have no ambition to do anything in life, I really want to play a part in positively influencing and impacting the world through my message in music.
10.  If you had to eat the same meal for the rest of your life - what would it be?
 That’s a tough question, I don't think I could eat the same meal for the rest of my life - but if I HAD to - I would probably have to say one plate - Fruits, Vegetables, Fish and Bread.
13.   What's on your radar for 2013?
 I just plan on keeping active and making music from my heart and performing the music I create from my heart. I plan on going all the way with this music. There is no boundary that the music cannot cross - I will break barriers if they stand in my way and my music will move all walls. You can lookout for my mixtape which will be released shortly as well called "Rise Natty" it will feature some known tracks and also some new tracks as well.
14. Do you have any plans to play in the UK?
I do have plans to play in the UK. We are in contact with a few people in regard to coming over there and doing some shows. Nothing concrete as yet to announce. UK is somewhere I am really looking forward to presenting my art.
15. Where can people buy your music?
People can buy my music on Itunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.
16. When and where is your next live show?
My next show is April 20, 2013 in Boca Raton at the Sunset Cove Amphitheater - It features Steel Pulse, Inner Circle, Dax Lion, Biggz General, Judah Tribe Band, Jesse Royal, Electrik Dread and Kevens.



For booking inquiries, please contact: daxlionbooking@gmail.com. All other inquiries can be forwarded to: daxlionmanagement@gmail.com


Stay in touch with Dax Lion:
·         www.facebook.com/daxvernon1
·         twitter.com/daxlion


Massive thanks to Dax Lion for taking the time out to answer our questions. We are on a mission to seek out people who are committed to following their dreams, carving out a life that feeds their soul and who continually send out their positive vibes to the rest of world. Dax Lion is what we call a master creator. Some people are so passionate and motivated that they have successfully turned what they love into a constant experience in their lives. Their love is their work. They use their passion as a skill and they sell it. These are the people that most intrigue, excite and convince us to keep following our own dreams. Master creators all have one thing in common – a constant commitment to intention. The intention to live the life they want to, a life that makes them happy and which positively influences others.

Look out for more of our “5 minutes with” blogs which aim to help spread the message of these creative souls and remind us to keep igniting the passion and motivation inside us, to pursue only what we love in life and avoid becoming a robot in this system where only a few can succeed…

Peace & Love

U.G xx



No comments:

Post a Comment